Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Since Donald has a kitchen cabinet, so will Annie

Donald's kitchen cabinet may have Jared, Ivanka and a few billionaires, but Annie's will have a sink, a 2 burner hob, a counter, and bigly storage. Much more practical, and hopefully lower vacation costs.
Not only that, but if we wanted to know how many beans we're cooking, we can spread them out on the counter and count them in a fiscally responsible manner.

The cabinet is built as a modified frameless design,
There will be A 22" wide section with four drawers under the hob, and open storage under the sink. More storage with shelves to the left of the drawers.
Sort of like this, but more wood like:
The overall size of the cabinet is 56"x20". The height with the counter is 35.5".

We'll be making shaker style doors and drawer fronts. But that shaker job will be done a bit down the line. Once I set up a jig for that work, I'll want to do the doors for the overhead compartments at the same time.

Just as Donald depends on his base for support, Annie's cabinet needs a base.

Since this is a frame-less design, I decided to build an alternative front frame. Donald is teaching us that consistency is highly over-rated.


Then added the main walls

 Next we get started on the bean counting/cooking tool.
It is a 60"x25"x1.5" maple butcher-block from Grizzly. Handy to have the Grizzly headquarters store only 45min away.

Cut it down to size and measured for the sink and cooking hob.

And started cutting.

The sink hole was pretty simple, but the hob has a much narrower lip and also is designed for a thinner countertop. It has hold-down tabs underneath that are good for a 1" thick counter. So I used a Forstner bit to get the thickness right.

Then I sanded the whole thing and routed the edges with a 1/8" roundover bit.
The chair of the aesthetics committee, who also serves as the paint-shop foreperson, took over and applied many coats of polyacrylic. The counter is now as smooth and polished as Donald's head was before the assumed hair plugs.

Next up is the drawer glides.
We are using side-mount push-to-open glides. Hopefully, these will be adequate as latches when we go over bumpy forest roads. We shall see.

Then dragged the whole thing out to Annie.

Then started making drawers.

I added a 1" acrylic rod as a pull bar. It runs through the counter and the base of the shelving space, and rests on the sliding door's entry step. Since the whole counter/cabinet assembly is bolted to the floor, Annies side wall, and the bed frame, it a pretty solid mounting platform for the bar.

Finalized installing the hob, its gas line, the sink and plumbing.

Aside from the doors, shelves, and the drawer fronts we're done.

Next, we'll build a headboard for the bed at the back door.
But before that, I may need to spend a month or two cleaning up the shop.