Saturday, September 16, 2017

Kitchen FixtureUppers (I watch too much HGTV)


In order to process food into our bodies, it is useful to have a temporary storage unit. We call that unit a mouth. A mouth contains food storage/processing assistants, such as teeth and lips. Without those assistants, food would fall out of your mouth whenever you moved.

Similarly, when preparing said food, it is useful to have temporary food associated storage for tools such as pans, dishes, glassware, etc. So, we're building those into Annie.
People would look at us funny if we said we were building Annie's mouths, so let's just say we're building her kitchen cabinetry. We've already built the  counter and lower cabinet.

In this entry, we build and install Annie's upper mouth kitchen cabinets.
There are two cabinets over the counter. they are 13" deep at their base, and 13"high at the front. Since the wall and ceiling are sloped, things narrow down toward the rear...to approximately 12" deep and 11 3/8" high.

 The frames are made from box-jointed 1.5"x.75" maple.
Test fitting the frame:

Both frames are built, and floor is test-fitted:

Test fitting the rear box.

Rear box, its bottom and rear panels ready for poly finish.

The rear box is mounted. The box is supported by screwing upper frame members into the wood rafters running the length of Annie (described in a much earlier blog entry. Those rafters are also the attachment points for the ceiling bead-board.
The front facing upper frame also holds the door piano hinge.
The rear box also screws into the side wall. Can't do that with the front box, because the wall is made of no-drill-zone boron steel around the sliding door. Turns out that the rear's wall screws aren't really necessary anyways. Neither box is going anywhere.

Base panels and light are installed.

Repeating the process with the front box. The boxes are identical, except that I added an aluminum sheet to the bottom of the front. It sits over the hob, and the aluminum should make splatter cleanup easier.

Building the mouth lips cabinet doors. These are shaker style. The rails and stiles are the same 1.5"x .75" as the box frames. The panel is 1/4" maple ply.

The doors are mounted. We're using a 100N gas strut to hold it open, and a pair of neodymium magnets to hold it closed. 

The finished product:




Saturday, July 15, 2017

Using Annie

Annie's build is not finished yet, but enough is done to go camping.

We just came back from a (very) short trip in the Mt. Baker National Forest on back roads both east and west of Baker Lake.

So I figured a trip report might be in order.

Here are a few pics of our mini-adventure, with some commentary occasionally thrown in.

Unlike a 300 picture slide show of Aunt Martha's ocean cruise, please feel free to leave as soon as you have the slightest twinge of boredom.


A beautiful camp spot with nobody around for miles. And almost no bugs!

Lots of wildflowers


Mountains

Relaxing

Waterfalls

The exploration thereof

Going on hikes

Taking time to sniff the sniffable


And great traveling views



Saturday, May 20, 2017

All around good bedside matters

Another very short update.
We've been finishing up work around the bed...under it, behind it, and at the sides of it.

For starters, we added some equipment mounting at the end, and figured out how the storage underneath will go.
We've packed a pretty full toolbox (the silver case), outside rocking chairs and ottomans, leveling blocks, an axe, a bow saw, a crowbar, fire extinguisher, hoses, rope and the awning crank.
Still lots of room down there.

Next we added touch operated dimming reading lamps at the headboard.

And a master switch for them above the closet.

Then power points for tablets, phone, and currently imaginary 12V things.
These pics are of the driver side ports. Passenger side is similar.
Main difference is that the driver side also has a master power switch for  both sides. The USB adapter has an unreasonably bright blue LED that draws about 20mA. No reason to have the ports live if we're not charging anything.
Added some carpet to make things cushy,
 and these bits are done.


Monday, May 1, 2017

Stepping up our game

I've mentioned before that my spousal unit is somewhat disabled. This meant she had some real trouble getting in and out of Annie without dragging out some step-stools.
So we decided to install an AMP Research Powerstep. It automatically opens and closes with the doors.
It works great! She can now enter and leave Annie all on her own!

I won't describe the installation, because the step is specific to the Transit, and comes with excellent instructions. But I did take some proof of concept pictures.
The step is almost invisible when closed:

But you can see it fine when opened:

Then she experimented with entering and leaving:

It even gets the aesthetic committee's seal of approval!

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Kitchen cabinet outside door

Yet another quickie entry.
We built the kitchen Cabinet to have some storage access from outside Annie. For storage of stuff like Kya's (empty) water bowl.

I installed a shelf and the outside door. The shelf can be removed if desired.
The outside door latches with push-to-open magnetic latches. It seems to hold over bumpy roads.

Trimmed the whole thing with some cushy weatherstripping. In case this cruel world starts throwing slings and arrows at it.

Some pics:



Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Headboard, now with boards

I finished off the headboards by painting the rails and adding bead-board boards, which make the headboard look less like a jail's bar's jail bars bars. and much more like a beadboarded headboard.
Not much to add except a few pictures.
Drilled holes in the top board to clear the upper magnets.